Saturday, August 20, 2011

If I Were An Old Man

If only I'd had a cigar...
If I were an old man, this is what I would look like.  My fabulous, curled up gray mustache is called "The Grandpa".

Why am I wearing it?  Because I'm in Portland, and that's what we do.  And because my housemate David and three of his friends have been organizing a monthly pub crawl for a few years now and last night's was the mustache edition.  This is something that I just don't think would happen in SF, or if it did, it would be something that I would probably roll my eyes at.  But not here.  We went to several bars and everyone either took it in stride or was just really happy to see us.  I got several compliments on my mustache from complete strangers.

The thing about pub crawls is that you drink a lot.  I am not a big drinker.  So, my method is to meet them out after they've already been to a few places and then try not to play catch up.  I was really excited about the first drink I had because it was at a place called The Whiskey Soda  Lounge and it was made with one of  Pok Pok's drinking vinegars, which my friend Kim had told me about.  I was skeptical.  I once used different concentrations of vinegar as my "acid rain" variable in a science fair project (who knew the effects of acid rain on grass would not be so good?).  I spent a lot of time with the stuff, and I don't think it smells very pleasant, nor would I want to drink it.  But this was a honey vinegar.  I don't know what they do or how they do it, but it was amazing.  My cocktail was called the Hunny: honey drinking vinegar, grapefruit juice and tequila.  It was really, really good.

I met some really cool people at the two monthly pub crawls I attended (the first was the patio bar edition), including a new yorker who recently moved to Portland from Amsterdam to work for Wieden+Kennedy and is expecting his second child soon.  He was super dedicated to his mustache.  He had grown out a beard and at each bar we stopped at, he shaved part of it off with some clippers until he was left with this.  I only wish I had gotten taken some photos at each of the different stages.

Corey and I and what was left of Corey's beard.




On another topic, I went to lunch today at The Grilled Cheese Grill, a food cart on Alberta dedicated to Grilled Cheese.  It's a hot day today in Portland, so grilled cheese may not have been the most obvious choice, but after last night's crawling around it was perfect.  I ordered the Jenny Lou- bacon and havarti between two slices of maple bread, grilled.  It was like eating maple syrup-soaked french toast with cheese and bacon.  This might have topped my old favorite, the bacon, cheddar, green onion pancakes at St. Francis Fountain in SF.




It doesn't look like much, but it was.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, I wanted to eat and drink my way through all of Portland! Such an amazing town. Glad you got a taste, at least. And hey, it's a short flight from SF!

    ReplyDelete