Friday, August 19, 2011

Decision Making Gives Me Ulcers


Last week, my three year old niece asked me, "Aunt Katie, what do you want to be when you grow up?".  This was funny because I really don't know what I want to be when I grow up and also because I just recently discovered that I am now, currently grown up.  According to some.  I laughed and said I didn't know and asked her what she thought I should be.  She tilted her head to the side like she was thinking, looked me in the eye and with the infinite wisdom of childhood said, "A Pirate".

Now as we all know, pirates live in San Francisco.  They walk around the mission with their parrots on their shoulders, doing what pirates do.  The thing is, I just moved to Portland.  I said goodbye to San Francisco.  I even wrote a poem about saying goodbye to San Francisco.  I started a blog so that I could write all about my adventures in Portland... not all about my adventures being a pirate in San Francisco!  But who am I to argue with the wisdom of a three year old?  So, because I really didn't see any better options, I decided to listen to the iphone wielding prophet and pack my bags, leave the glorious Portland summer weather and return to the cold, grey fog of San Francisco.

I'm excited to go back, but I'm also sad to be leaving Portland after such a short amount of time.  It wasn't enough to figure out if Portland is a place I'd want to return to after I'm done with my pirating. There are so many things I didn't do because I thought I'd have more time as an unemployed poet/candle holder maker.  I'm also sad because I've met some really fantastic people and there is potential for great things and unknown possibilities that I'm not going to be here to see the results of.  I was just starting to shed my skepticism and get excited.  I mean, how do I know that in approximately 43 days, something amazing wasn't going to happen?  Do I really think that being a pirate is right for me?  Am I ready to give up my leisurely life here?

Well... I don't know.  But, Portland will always be here and I feel the need to go check out what this new and unexpected opportunity might have in store for me.  In the meantime, I'm going try to do something really fun and exciting every day before I leave (in four days).  Starting tomorrow I'm going to post whatever it is I do up on here and then I'll have at least accomplished one of my goals.  I'll start right now with a photo of my first trip to Voodoo Doughnuts.  I said to the man who was waiting in line for the whole group, "Get me something with bacon!"  It was... amazing.

Cream-filled maple bacon bar

the man who waited in line


*Oh and because this conversation wasn't only about me, I asked my niece what she wants to be when she grows up and she said BATGIRL.





No comments:

Post a Comment